Thursday 14 December 2017

The Gift of Receiving


"Mom, are you wanting us to find the box of Christmas decorations from the attic?"
I analyzed in the stack of bills and pasted a smile in my face. The time had come to see the kids.
"Not right now, Honey. We'll possess a family discussion once your sister gets home. There are a few things we need to talk about."
Eight months earlier, my hubby, after much prayer, had accepted a job more than a thousand miles through the home there were occupied for nineteen years. The job seemed ideal and now we happily sold our home and packed to the move, although leaving relatives and buddies was heart wrenching.
We obtained a house in a town and located a church. Our three small children made friends and started school.
Then, without warning, the master thought we would downsize my partner's department and that he lost his job.
After a fruitless two weeks of searching within the immediate area, my husband accepted employment which required a three-month training period at minimal salary, with the promise of financial security inside next 12 months. One snag, the education would occur over two hundred miles away.
At the start of our marriage, my partner and I had pledged to be guided through the Lord in most ways, and rely on Him for all things. We made Him our source, and He was faithful in blessing us as well as in helping us to get over obstacles. New we faced an economic crisis in greater comfort.
My husband began his training and came home most week-ends, arriving Saturday afternoon and returning after lunch on Sunday.
The tiny room he rented contained a microwave, and I prepared hamburger patties, and fried chicken he could heat for his dinners the next week; weekly that drained us both. We limited ourselves to at least one ten-minute telephone call during each five day separation. Even so, our income plummeted from comfortable to critical. The balances on our two cards crept up every month. Our savings have been demolished within the move and purchase of home. We had only did start to assemble it back when the crises occurred.
Our eighteen-year-old daughter, a senior in high school, found an evening job at the fast-food establishment, and her wages taken care of most of our food to the next 2 months. Now, ten days before Christmas, a cloud shadowed the holiday spirit.
In days gone by, our house had enjoyed giving currently of year. We made up baskets to distribute, invited less fortunate families to dinner, baked cookies for several organizations, and gave monetary assistance at the same time. The joyous celebration from the birth of Jesus Christ was the core individuals Christmas, and giving took over as vehicle by which to share our joy.
All this ran through my head as I prepared and served plates of spaghetti. We discussed school events basically we ate. Then I pushed my plate aside, and searched the solemn faces of the kids.
The girls were who are old enough to understand our situation, and so they had been extremely supportive. Our ten-year-old son appeared nonchalant eventually and perplexed another.
"Kids, this Christmas will be different than any you might have known. Not only shall we be held can not give gifts to others, there will be no gifts to suit your needs either."
I blinked back tears because they nodded and waited will continue. "A tree is not possible, either. We'll decorate the tables and shelves with all the ornaments we have so we'll hang the stockings for the mantel. But, they are going to remain empty, apart from a communication from me and Daddy, promising each of you a great gift of your liking." I smiled. "Within reason, obviously." My try at the little bit of humor elicited muted chuckles. "We'll redeem the notes within few months." I leaned back my chair and took a deep breath.
"That said, now I wish to emphasize the positive picture. You know the true specification of Christmas. It is not gifts, not decorated cookies, not elaborate meals. Not even singing carols, or presenting the Christmas story at church. We celebrate Christmas because God loved us a lot that He arrived to the world like a human baby in order to save us."
"This year we've got the ability to learn, with no distraction of worldly traditions, what which means to us individually. We can give full attention to opening our hearts to Jesus' love and asking Him to aid us be like Him. And, remember, we still need the other person." We bowed our heads, held hands, and I asked the Lord to bless us and teach us about His love.
"I don't mine not getting something special," said our elder daughter after prayer, "but our youth group is collecting food donations, and I promised to assist."
"So did I" said her sister.
"You may each choose two cans of food in the pantry. I'm sorry, but that is all we can do."
"That's great!"
I gazed within my young son. "Do you've got everything to say, Honey?"
He shook his head. "No, I understand. Can I go view television, now?"
I smiled, rose from your table and gave each a hug. "One more thing. No long faces when Daddy returns this weekend. He is working very hard to finish his training, and the man drives all those miles to become with us a couple of hours as he loves us."
My husband's week-end visit was bitter sweet. Any occasion to get with him would have been a blessing in my experience, and particularly poignant after having a six day separation. After the children retired Saturday night, he talked about his weariness and his awesome confusion by what had happened within our lives.
"And not even a tree in this house for that kids." He turned his face faraway from me and stifled a sob. "I drove throughout the city the other day looking for a lot which had reduced their prices. I found nothing."
I felt crushed. "Darling, we don't desire a tree to have Christmas. I talked with your children and so they understand. We'll be together on Christmas Day. That's the best present we might have."
We hugged one another several minutes, they prayed together. On Sunday afternoon, he using renewed enthusiasm.
The following day, a neighbor called. "Do you might have your tree, yet? I've did not squeeze artificial one up within the shop this season. My husband could bring it over this evening when you can put it to use."
I thanked her and hung up the device. Then I danced around the room praising the Lord. A tree makes a difference.
After supper, the kids and I decorated the tree and also the house. I put an album of carols about the machine and that we sang along even as we worked.
The doorbell rang right before lunch the next morning. One of my partner's previous co-workers stood around the porch. He smiled and asked if he could speak with me. I invited him in and offered him a cup of joe. We sat at the table. He took a sip, then drew an envelope from his pocket.
"Your husband was obviously a great inspiration to many folks in the office. We feel terrible with what happened and that we want to help you. I was elected to get this for your requirements. I hope you encourage it using the love that accompanies it.
Ugly pride reared its head and my first inclination would have been to decline. The Holy Spirit squelched that thought. I swallowed hard and graciously accepted the envelope stuffed with bills.
"Thank you. Please tell the mediocre ones the amount we thank you for thinking of us."
After God's messenger left, I attended my bedroom and fell on my small knees. I cried, asked the Lord to forgive me for doubting Him, and praised Him for His mercy.
An envelope with unfamiliar handwriting came inside the mail that afternoon. It contained no name, no address, no note, only something special certificate coming from a local market. My hands shook with emotion. We were new around and I we had not discussed our situation with anyone. Within the following 2 days, a neighbor brought a carton stuffed with a variety of desserts. She said these were remaining from her women's group party, and she or he didn't want to own so many sweets across the house. Another neighbor brought several pounds of meat he had smoked. He said his wife was cleansing the freezer.
Again, I had to look for the Lord's forgiveness. One portion of me yearned to praise Him for which there was received, and get Him to bless people that gave. Another part rebelled at receiving gifts when we might not reciprocate. I read the verses on pride that I found in the concordance inside the back of my Bible. The Lord's chastisement drove me to my knees in shame. Jeremiah 49:16 tore at my soul, but prayer and tears cleansed me.
At our mid-week phone conversation, I told my husband that God was taking care of us and that I stood a surprise for him. I knew I couldn't relate what had happened over the product without deteriorating.
The children and I stood a terrific time praising the Lord for His goodness, and asking Him to bless those who had given so generously. The joy in home that week before Christmas was palpable.
Christmas Eve I made divinity and popped corn. I heard footsteps around the back porch, and visited investigate. No one was there. I stepped to the drive and saw a new boy hurrying down the street. A paper sack adorned with a red ribbon rested for the top step and I carried it in to the kitchen. Inside were five packages wrapped in gold paper. A colorful tag was taped to every one addressed to Dad, Mom, older daughter, younger daughter, and son. I placed the gifts within the tree, then sat about the floor looking at them and pondering the events from the last few days.
The children noticed the gifts as soon while they entered the family room. I reported I had no idea who delivered them, but these folks were from Jesus. Each found the package addressed for them and squealed. Their smiles vanquished any shadows remaining inside house.
Later we sat within the living room next to the tree sparkling with lights, tinsel, ornaments, and gifts, and watched "It's a Wonderful Life" on television.
My husband arrived after the children were during intercourse. I showed him the meals inside the freezer as well as the pantry, then led him on the living room. He stood, stunned, for a few moments. Then he smiled and involved into his arms.
The Spirit that filled us that Christmas continued to uphold us inside difficult days ahead, and I learned to trust the Lord with all my heart. Although I believe "It is a bit more blessed to give rather than receive" (Acts 20:35), whatever adversity appears within my life, I will never again be engulfed by fear. I have received the blessed gift of receiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SHARE

RevolverMaps